Dear Chamisa Families,
Welcome back to the 2020-2021 school year! This will be a very different start to the school year. LAPS has decided to start the school year in a remote learning plan. The district has also created a complete (K-12) on-line school named “Los Alamos On-line Learning Academy”.
At Chamisa, we are working very hard to ensure a smooth start to the remote school year. Teachers and staff have created schedules for students. Students will be required to attend the remote sessions each day, as attendance will be taken. Unlike the spring, assignments will be given and graded. Students will be accountable for their learning. We are hoping that this remote learning format will move to hybrid (50% students in schools) learning in a succinct manner.
“Teamwork, Family, Community” is the motto at Chamisa Elementary. Chamisa will continue to provide the best education for you students“. Chamisa incorporates many educational systems to best teach the “whole child”.We provide numerous clubs at Chamisa for students (We will continue to do these remotely as best we can). Chamisa is a “Zero Waste” school, incorporating environmental recycling standards in the school. Chamisa was awarded the 2019-2020 LA County Zero Waste Champion of the Year Award for Schools. We have a Green Team made up of students that dedicate themselves to recycling efforts at Chamisa. Chamisa Elementary is a welcoming school, allowing for community involvement, support and participation.
Starting in the fall of 2020, community meetings will be held to begin the conversation of construction at Chamisa. White Rock schools, Chamisa and Piñon Elementarys were awarded 20 million dollars from the latest bond election. The community will be invited to participate with ideas for renovations at Chamisa Elementary using part of the bond money. Los Alamos Public Schools is dedicated to the slogan of “Promises Made, Promises Kept”. Please stay tuned as to when community meetings will be held.
Chamisa welcomes parent/community volunteers. We have a strong Parent-Teacher Organization (PTO) of which everyone is a member. There is no fee or registration process. Feel to attend meetings and participate in planning and /or attending school events. We have a school garden and greenhouse and welcome anyone who is interested to participate (no green thumb required).
LAPS uses the School Messenger system to notify parents for reasons that impact safety and academic performance of students.
Once your child is enrolled at LAPS, you will be automatically enrolled to receive email notifications from School Messenger. LAPS highly recommends that parents also sign up for text messaging so that they may receive important announcements via text, such as emergency notifications. To sign up for text messaging, please follow these instructions in English or Spanish.
If you have a student in one of our schools, please ensure that your school contact information and emergency contact information is up-to-date.
If you need to make a change to your contact information, please call or visit your school office.
Every Wednesday, dismissal is 12:00 pm for all grades
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
8:17 Warning Bell
8:20 am School Begins
10:00 am Recess
10:15 am Recess Ends
11:15 am Primary Team to Lunchroom
11:35 am Middle Team to Recess
11:45 am Upper Team to Lunchroom
12:00 pm Primary Team Recess Ends
12:20 pm Middle Team Lunch Ends
12:30 pm Upper Team Recess Ends
2:00 pm Recess
2:15 pm Recess Ends
3:20 pm Dismissal
3:35 pm All students off school grounds
8:17 am Warning Bell
8:20 am School Begins
10:00 am Recess
10:15 am Recess Ends
12:00 pm Dismissal
12:15 pm All students off school grounds
Should an emergency or disaster situation ever arise in our area while school is in session, we want you to be aware that the schools have made preparations to respond effectively to such situations. In fact, public schools in New Mexico are built to meet stringent construction standards, and they may be safer than your own home in the event of a disaster.
Should we have a major disaster during school hours, your student(s) will be cared for at this school. Los Alamos Public Schools have detailed emergency response plans, which have been formulated to respond to a major catastrophe. While the specific details of these plans cannot be made public, we will provide any information necessary for your emergency planning needs and peace of mind, in case of an emergency. After you have thoughtfully reviewed this process, please sit with your child(ren) and help them to understand that it is necessary for them to follow the directions of any school personnel in times of an emergency drill or actual emergency situation. The safety of all depends on all personnel and students treating drills and emergency directions with serious respect.
Your cooperation is necessary in any emergency:
- Do not telephone the You can receive updated information through an emergency communication system, provided by the school district and Los Alamos County. Telephone lines may be needed for emergency communication.
- In the event of a serious emergency, students will be kept at their schools until they can be picked up by an identified, responsible adult who has been listed as such on a LAPS emergency card, which is required to be completed by parents/guardians at the beginning of each school year. Please be sure you consider the following criteria when you authorize another person to pick up your child at school:
- S/He is 18 years of age or
- S/He is usually home during the
- S/He could walk to school, if
- S/He is known to your
- S/He is both aware and able to assume this
During an extreme emergency, students will be released at designated reunion sites, to be identified by the Incident Commander and located on school campuses. Please instruct your student to remain at the school until you or your designee arrives.
- Turn your radio to AM 1610 for emergency If students are to be kept at school, radio stations will be notified. If electrical service is not affected, information will be relayed via LAPS to the radio and television broadcast media. In addition, information regarding day-to-day school operations will be available by accessing our website, or subscribing to our E-Alerts web-based system. All sites have hotline numbers, which will be updated.
- In the event that any emergency takes place during the time that students expect to be transported to or from school:
- If students are on the bus at the time, they will be kept on the bus, and the driver will ask for assistance through radio contact with the school and district
- Any child who is home waiting for the bus will not be picked up and remains the responsibility of the parent or
- In any situation, if the student’s bus does not arrive at the stop within fifteen (15) minutes, the student should return
- In the event that an emergency occurs in the afternoon, the driver will make every attempt to continue delivering the students to their homes. Should road conditions prevent the driver from delivering students to their home or to school in the morning, the students will be delivered to the nearest district site, and that site’s personnel will communicate with home school personnel to inform them of the students’
- In case of a hazardous release event (i.e. chemical spill) near the school area, Shelter procedures will be implemented to provide “in place” All students and staff will clear the fields, report to their rooms, and all
efforts will be made to prevent outside air from entering the classrooms during the emergency. “Shelter-In-Place” signs will be placed in classroom windows or hung outside classroom doors during a drill or emergency. Students arriving at school during a Shelter drill or event should report to the school office or to a previously designated area at the school because classrooms will be inaccessible. When the dangerous incident has subsided, an “all clear” signal will be given.
In the case of a county-wide evacuation, which would include the schools, that evacuation would proceed in accordance with the protocols established in the Los Alamos County Emergency Operations Plan. Please access the County’s website for this county-wide evacuation plan.
Parental Roles in Emergency Preparedness
- Discuss the Standard Response Protocol with your child(ren)
- Please make sure to update your student’s school emergency Call or come by the school to update. Remember to update again when necessary.
- Sign up for E-Alerts on the school and district You’ll be notified by email whenever an emergency results in a delay, cancellation, or early dismissal.
- As part of your family plan, know your student’s Please check the accuracy of this schedule with your child.
- Parents with students currently taking emergency medication (i.e. medication for diabetes, seizures, anaphylaxis, asthma, etc.), please provide the nurse with a three-day supply of medication in a prescription container that is clearly marked with your child’s name and Please include doctor’s orders for the prescription and parental permission for a dispensation of the medication and any special storage instructions.
- Notify and provide the school with the special dietary needs of your
You might want to think about having your student have a change of clothes and personal hygiene articles (toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, contact lens kit) in their locker.
Please discuss these matters with your immediate family. Planning ahead will help alleviate concern during emergencies.
The purpose of any computer utilization is to enhance the educational experience. All students and staff are required to have a signed district Technology Agreement on file. Use of computers is a privilege and not a right. Inappropriate use will result in the cancellation of those privileges. LAHS administration will determine what is inappropriate use and that decision will be final. Inappropriate use will result in the closing of an account at any time or by removal from a computer-based class.
• Ethical Use of Technology Board Policy 6144R
School Picture Days at Chamisa are:
Green Cohort Groups: Tues., Sept. 29th
Gold Cohort Groups: Fri., Oct. 2
Click here for the order form.